Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I took this recipe word-for-word off the about.com website. I haven't tried it, but I figured we needed a vegan cornbread recipe to go along with vegetarian chili :)
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup white flour
- 3⁄4 cup polenta or 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients in another bowl.
- Add wet to dry and stir well.
- Bake at 375° for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
This was delightful. Non-vegan boyfriend approved. I added about 1/4 cup extra of cornmeal since I was worried about it being spongy because of what another reviewer said. Yummmmmy!
I made 3 vegan cornbread recipes last Friday (I'm on a quest). Wasn't crazy about this one. I thought it was a little bland, sort of heavy, texture reminded me a bit of a sponge. I've never had cornbread come out like this (vegan or otherwise) Just not doin it for me. Sorry, but thanks!
Good and healthy too.