Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
I got this recipe in my email today from Cooks Illustrated. It is a blue-ribbon winner developed by 11 year old Dana Sly.
- 29.58 ml ground flax seeds
- 88.74 ml water
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml cornmeal
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 19.71 ml baking powder
- 3.69 ml table salt
- 236.59 ml soymilk
- 59.14 ml canola oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Spray 8-inch-square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Add the ground flax seed, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer the ground flax seed in the water for 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt until well-combined.
- Add the ground flax seed mixture, soy milk, and canola oil to the flour mixture.
- Beat just until smooth (do not overbeat.)
- Turn into prepared baking pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack 10 minutes; invert cornbread onto wire rack, then turn right side up and continue to cool until warm, about 10 minutes longer.
This is the best vegan cornbread recipe I've found (and I been on a quest to find one for 5 years). I have a few tips for the other cooks out there. (1) Add one tablespoon of vital wheat gluten flour to help with the binding. (2) Let the batter sit for about 10 to 15 minutes before baking, in order to let it become more glutenous so it won't crumble when done baking. (3) Bake it in a cast iron skillet: First, preheat the cast iron skillet in the oven. When the oven is done preheating, it's time to add the batter. Take out the cast iron skillet with pot holders (It's hot!) add a tablespoon or 2 of oil, and roll it around greasing the bottom and sides. Then add the batter, and pop it back into the oven. Baking in the cast iron skillet give the cornbread nice crispy edges. I only needed to bake mine for 18 minutes. (4) 2 Variation ideas are adding a little vanilla extract, or some maple syrup with a can of drained chopped green chilis.
Really enjoyed this recipe! Recently, I've tried several to see if I can match Bob's prepackaged gluten free cornbread and this is very close! I am always substituting, so I thought I'd list...
1 cup all-purpose flour = 1/2 cup gluten free all-purpose 1/4 cup brown rice flour 1/4 cup corn flour
1/4 cup sugar = 3 tbsp agave and 8 drops of liquid stevia
1/4 cup oil = 1/4 cup applesauce
Hint~ I find that setting flax mixture on top of stove as it preheats works to help bind!
Quite a nice, corny cornbread. I ground flaxseed in a coffee grinder. I did skip steps 3 and 4 and just added the flax meal to the whole mixture. It baked up just fine.