Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Vegan Vittles by Joanne Stepaniak. Super quick and easy to whip up and they taste great, too.
- 1⁄4 lb regular reduced-fat firm tofu (firm) or 1⁄2 cup lite silken firm tofu, patted dry and crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare muffin tins by either spraying with non-stick spray or using cupcake liners.
- Place tofu, maple syrup, water and oil in a blender and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, and stir together until well combined.
- Pour the blended wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix just until the dry ingredients are moist. The batter will be stiff.
- Immediately spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Gently loosen the muffins and turn over onto a drying rack or other place to cool. Cover muffins with a clean tea towel and let them rest for 5 minutes. This will keep them from developing a hard crust.
Made these for Vegan Tag (doubleing the batch) but accid. made them non-vegan. Maple syrup is expensive, so I put 1/2 honey in b4 I realized vegans don't eat honey! Woops! I used 1 C firm tofu. These don't raise very high bcz of the w.w. flour. They turned out a little too moist, so I will decrease the water next time, but they were still tasty. Might try adding corn next time too.