Recipe by englishsettlement
Top Review by sugarpea
I loved this and so did Dh. The molasses adds tons of flavor without a bit of oil/fat in the finished soup. The only change I made was to use just 2 cups of broth with the pinto beans rather than 4 cups. I didn't want to dilute the flavor and I was only feeding two. I inadvertantly neglected to rip or cut the greens up into small pieces. Don't make that mistake - the resulting large leaves with give you an awkward mouthful of burn. Great soup, englishsettlement.
- 1 bunch collard greens
- 2 tomatoes
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- 1 (14 ounce) can pinto beans
- 5 teaspoons molasses
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 anaheim chili
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse collard greens and rip off tough stems - rip into pieces and put in covered pan.
- Chop 1/2 tomato and 1/4 onion, add to collard greens along with 1/2 cup vegetable broth and 2 teaspoons molasses. Simmer for about 2 hours on low.
- Rinse pinto beans and put in another pot with the rest of the vegetable broth, molasses, and all the peppers (sliced) and the other 1/4 of onion.
- Only simmer long enough to heat up the ingredients (for firm peppers).
- Add the cooked collard greens and mix.
- Serve with cold sliced tomatoes.