Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
I'm enjoying trying different kinds of vegan "bacon". Here's one that's just off the beaten path. Make sure to use large pieces of coconut flakes, not shredded coconut, for this soy protein-free vegan bacon recipe.
- 1 cup dried coconut flakes
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (or 1/4 tsp hickory smoke powder)
- Mix all ingredients together except coconut.
- Add coconut and marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350° and bake on a pan lined with parchment paper for about 30-40 minutes, until brown and crispy, stirring every ten minutes to prevent burning.
Just signed into this page all in an effort to warn people that this recipe is horrible..ive had delicious coconut bacon many times..i tried this recipe and almost couldn't even swallow it..it is way to soy saucy and not sweet enough its like putting a tsp of raw soy sauce in your mouth..i recommend diluting this in half if anything and adding more maple syrup..also don't cook for 30-40 mins I would do twenty tops..