Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I can't wait to try this vegan ice cream!
- 1 can coconut milk (not the reduced fat kind)
- 1 (12 ounce) package silken tofu
- 1⁄3 cup organic sugar, to taste
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup toasted coconut or 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup pineapple chunks or 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup macadamia nuts or 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (or more than one) (optional)
- In blender combine coconut milk and tofu, sugar and vanilla: mix well.
- Test for sweetness and add more sugar if desired.
- Transfer the mixture to the ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
This is actually a comment on the previous review. The "soy taste" is from the firm tofu that was substituted. If this is made according to the recipe (i.e. with silken tofu), there will not be a "soy taste." Happy vice cream making!
I altered the original recipe slightly to reflect the ingredients I had on hand - and we enjoyed this delightful treat. I used the coconut milk with firm tofu (I needed use it up), the sugar, toasted coconut shreds, dark chocolate, and accidentally too little vanilla. The outcome was still pretty darn good. Given the strong soy taste, I'll probably opt for coconut extract next time.... and there will definitely be a next ime! OK - I am editing my original review. The coconut ice improved drastically overnight... the soybean flavor was not as noticeable. Still, I will add either vanilla or coconut extract on the next batch... and there will be a next batch!