Recipe by EmilyStrikesAgain
From VegNews- "This recipe's secret ingredient- oyster mushrooms- adds an authentic texture to this winter's perfect meal-in-a-bowl. Adding a base note of natural smoke flavor completes this masterpiece, which is sure to satisfy even the most ardent- chowder traditionalists." This tastes great in a bread bowl as well!
Top Review by magpie diner
We really enjoyed this soup! It has quite a few steps, but still do-able in one pot. The creamy soup base made partly of cashew nuts is fantastic, I would have enjoyed it even without adding the mushrooms & potatoes in, (of course the mushrooms are the highlight). I'm not a big fan of oyster mushrooms so I used regular button instead. This is definitely a chowder, extremely thick. When Emily says to simmer on low in the last step, she means it...it's very easy to burn. I think you could adjust the amount of broth based on how thick you like your soup, I found 2 cups not quite enough. Thanks Emily, I can't wait to try this again!
- 2 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1⁄4 lb oyster mushroom, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cauliflower, cut into large pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, saute 1 tablespoon margarine and oyster mushrooms for 7 minutes, then set aside.
- In a blender, grind cashews to a fine powder, then add 1 cup vegetable broth. Blend until completely smooth.
- In a large stock pot over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon margarine, onion, cauliflower, and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes, then add bay leaves, thyme, white pepper, remaining vegetable broth, cashew mixture, and salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low heat and cook for 15 minutes. Remove bay leaves.
- Using either an immersion blender or regular blender, blend until completely smooth. Add potatoes and cook over low heat for 40 minutes. Stir in the smoke flavor and the mushrooms. Serve hot, garnished with a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of parsley.