Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I can't remember where I got this recipe, but I love it! I think it might have been vegweb.com. The fresh cinnamon and nutmeg is a MUST! Don't buy that junk in the plastic shakers!
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, freshly ground
- 5 slices bread, cut into 4 strips each
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Mix the first 7 ingredients together in a bowl. Taste and add more cinnamon/vanilla to taste.
- Heat about 1 tbsp of oil in a pan over medium-low heat.
- Dip the bread into the mixture to coat, let drain over the bowl for a few seconds, then gently lay onto the pan. Repeat until the pan is full. Let the bread cook for 2-4 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom and carefully flip over and cook the other side.
- Place paper towels on a plate, put the finished French toast onto the plate, and place in a warm oven until everything is done. Use the other tbsp of oil if you need it.
- Serve with powdered sugar, maple syrup, apple sauce, etc.