1 hr 20 mins
Vegan Freak's Note:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2Combine yeast, sugar, and water in a small bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes in a warm place. If your yeast does not bubble, it is dead and the dough will not rise. Throw out the mixture and start again with new yeast. You can mix the dough in a bread machine, mixer with a dough hook, or by hand.
- 3BREAD MACHINE/MIXER INSTRUCTIONS: Using your breadmachines dough cycle or in your mixers bowl, combine the yeast mixture, nutmeg, salt, and flour. Mix dough until smooth and elastic.
- 4HAND MIXING INSTRUCTIONS: In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the nutmeg and salt. Add the flour in batches, stirring after each addition, until the mixture forms a cohesive ball of dough (it will pull away from the sides of the bowl). You will need about 3 1/2 cups of flour. Turn out onto a floured counter top and knead until dough is smooth and elastic. This can take up to 15 minutes. Flour your work surface frequently to prevent sticking.
- 5Spray a large bowl with non-stick spray (or use one tablespoon of oil) and place dough inside. Cover with a clean towel and let rise in a warm area for 1 hour. While the dough is rising, make the filling.
- 6FILLING: Mix margarine, sugar, cinnamon, maple syrup, vanilla, nuts and/or raisins (if using) in a small bowl until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 7Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 8Punch dough down and divide into 2 pieces. Put 1 piece of dough back into the bowl and cover to prevent it from drying out. Place 1 piece on a floured work surface. Pat dough into a rectangle. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough into a 9X13 rectangle. Spread half of the filling mixture onto the dough using a spatula, leaving a 2-inch border at the bottom. Start rolling up the dough starting at the top left-most corner and working your way along the length of the dough. Try not to stretch the dough too much when rolling. Continue rolling until you reach the edge of the filling. Moisten the plain strip of dough (below the filling) with water and roll the dough down to seal. Let the roll rest while you finish the second roll.
- 9With the seam side down, cut each roll into 4 equal pieces. Place, cut side down, in an oiled 9-inch square baking pan or in the middle of a baking sheet lined with parchment. Cover with a towel and let rise for 30 minutes.
- 10Place rolls in preheated 350 F oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until edges are golden brown and filling is bubbling. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Cinnamon Buns
Serving Size: 1 (123 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 327.2
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 160.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 35.9 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: