Prep 10 mins
Cook 49 mins
As much as it had pained my jaw muscles to gnaw on the rock hard god-only-knows-how-old-it-was chocolate biscotti at Starbucks, I really missed the stuff after going vegan. After trying various recipes I finally came up with this. It tastes great, and doesn’t hurt my jaw as much as the biscotti from Starbucks did. The end result should be crispy and slightly dry, but not burnt or too hard to chew.
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup white flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (f).
- Grease a cookie sheet and set aside.
- Beat the softened margarine with a fork until it has a creamy consistency. Stir in all of the ingredients, leaving the flour and walnuts for last.
- Shape the dough into two approximately 9” long rolls. Place these rolls about 3” apart on the greased cookie sheets and flatten them until they are about 3” to 4” wide and 1½” thick.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the biscotti comes out clean.
- Let the biscotti cool completely, and remove it from the cookie sheet.
- Turn the oven down to 325 degrees (f).
- Re-grease the cookie sheet.
- Cut the long biscotti rolls widthwise into ½” strips.
- Place the biscotti strips on the cookie sheet, cut side down, and bake for about 7 minutes.
- Turn the biscotti over and bake for another 7 minutes.