- 3 ounces vegan dark chocolate, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground aniseed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour an 8” cake pan.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave in 30 second increments.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, water, vinegar, sugar, vanilla, oil, and salt.
- In a large bowl, sift together the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Add in spices and whisk to combine.
- Combine the wet mixture with the dry mixture until smooth. Pour in melted chocolate and whisk well to combine.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and continue cooling.