Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Originally a Betty Crocker recipe - I veganized it and baked it in the Crockpot (2-3 quart capacity). Reminds me of the chocolate pudding cakes my mom used to make when I was little. A great comfort food dessert, especially for chilly wet nights!
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml cocoa
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml soymilk (I use unsweetened, any flavour would work though)
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 177.44 ml packed brown sugar
- 59.14 ml cocoa
- 354.88 ml hot water
- Spray crock pot insert with cooking spray.
- Mix flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tbsp cocoa, baking powder, and salt together in bowl.
- Stir in soy milk, oil, and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour batter into crock pot insert.
- Mix brown sugar and remaining 1/4 cup cocoa in bowl (make sure there are no big lumps). Sprinkle over batter.
- Pour hot water over contents of crockpot - DO NOT STIR!
- Cook on high for 2 hours or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Remove lid of crock pot and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Spoon cake into bowls. Spoon sauce over top.
- Great on its own; also yummy with soy whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
So good! I was out of brown sugar so I substituted white sugar, and mixed 1/2 tsp molasses in with the hot water, and used vanilla almond milk in place of soy, and it was delicious!!
This is delicious... (Yes, I'm eating it right now..) This was my first attempt at making anything Vegan... This was a great way to get some confidence and a good start.. Love the recipe... I wouldn't know it was vegan if I ate it randomly. KUDOS.
AMAZING!!! First thing I made in my new crock and it was so good and so easy!! Thank you!!