Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
Very Easy! Soft and moist. From Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World! You can use less sugar if you wish.
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sugar, unbleached organic (for frosting)
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened (for frosting)
- 1⁄4 cup vanilla-flavored soymilk (for frosting)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract (for frosting)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl whisk together soy milk and vinegar, set aside to allow curdling.
- Add sugar, oil and vanilla extract to the soy milk mixture and beat until it's foamy.
- In a seperate bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda an dpowder, and salt.
- Add in two batches to thewet ingredients, beating until no large lumps remain.
- Pour into lined cupcakes filling about 3/4 full.
- For the frosting: mix margarine, soy milk, and vanilla.
- Blend in sugar until creamy enough to your preference.
I'm a vegetarian but also I cook and bake vegan. Cupcakes are my favorite thing to bake and having just bought a cupcake decorating kit I love baking even more. I was looking for some good vegan cupcake recipes but every other recipe I looked at contained one too many ingredients or some odd ingredients. This recipe looked fun, fast and easy, and it was. I baked two batches. The first batch made 9 cupcakes, but I forgot to add the canola oil. The cupcakes still came out fine although they were more like fudge. The second batch I did add the canola oil and they came out perfect. They were soft and moist. It's hard believe these cupcakes are vegan. I didn'tmake the frosting, I used some leftover vegan frosting I made from another recipe but they were still great. I took them to work and shared them with my co-workers and they all loved them.
The Cupcakes: I wish there had been a baking time listed, because I'm too lazy to check them every 5 min! haha The Frosting: After making it, I'm assuming you're supposed to use powdered sugar instead of granulated. I learned too late! Side note: I used sweetened mimic creme instead of soymilk, because that's all I had. I think had I used the right soymilk it would have made these a four star, so I went ahead and gave them the benefit of the doubt. :)