Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Very Easy! Soft and moist. From Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World! You can use less sugar if you wish.
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sugar, unbleached organic (for frosting)
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened (for frosting)
- 1⁄4 cup vanilla-flavored soymilk (for frosting)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract (for frosting)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl whisk together soy milk and vinegar, set aside to allow curdling.
- Add sugar, oil and vanilla extract to the soy milk mixture and beat until it's foamy.
- In a seperate bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda an dpowder, and salt.
- Add in two batches to thewet ingredients, beating until no large lumps remain.
- Pour into lined cupcakes filling about 3/4 full.
- For the frosting: mix margarine, soy milk, and vanilla.
- Blend in sugar until creamy enough to your preference.
I'm a vegetarian but also I cook and bake vegan. Cupcakes are my favorite thing to bake and having just bought a cupcake decorating kit I love baking even more. I was looking for some good vegan cupcake recipes but every other recipe I looked at contained one too many ingredients or some odd ingredients. This recipe looked fun, fast and easy, and it was. I baked two batches. The first batch made 9 cupcakes, but I forgot to add the canola oil. The cupcakes still came out fine although they were more like fudge. The second batch I did add the canola oil and they came out perfect. They were soft and moist. It's hard believe these cupcakes are vegan. I didn'tmake the frosting, I used some leftover vegan frosting I made from another recipe but they were still great. I took them to work and shared them with my co-workers and they all loved them.
The Cupcakes: I wish there had been a baking time listed, because I'm too lazy to check them every 5 min! haha The Frosting: After making it, I'm assuming you're supposed to use powdered sugar instead of granulated. I learned too late! Side note: I used sweetened mimic creme instead of soymilk, because that's all I had. I think had I used the right soymilk it would have made these a four star, so I went ahead and gave them the benefit of the doubt. :)