These are sooooo good! No exaggeration. The topping is light and fluffy and not overly sweet, and you would never know that the cupcakes were vegan. The recipe come from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. Once you taste these cupcakes, there will be no doubt that these can take over the world! The mousse topping makes enough for probably 2 dozen cupcakes, so go ahead and double the cupcake recipe...they are sure to disappear in no time. Preparation time doesn't include the 1 hour refrigeration time for the mousse.
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12 1/3 ounce) package extra-firm silken tofu, drained
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- For cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350F and put your cupcakes liners in your muffin pan.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a bowl, giving it a few minutes to curdle before proceeding.
- Add the sugar, oil, vanilla to the curdled soy milk and beat until a little frothy.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet in 2 batches, mixing until no large lumps remain.
- Fill the muffin liners about 3/4 fill. I use an ice cream scoop so that they are sure to be uniform in size.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for about 10 minutes in the pan, and then remove from pan and put on a cooling rack until completely cooled.
- For the Mousse topping: Put the tofu, soy milk, maple syrup and vanilla in a blender; puree until completely smooth.
- Melt the chocolate, either in a double boiler or carefully in a microwave. If you use a microwave, be careful so as to not burn the chocolate. Let the melted chocolate cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chocolate to the tofu in the blender and blend until combined.
- Put the mousse into a covered container and chill for at least an hour.
- When the cupcakes are completely cooled, use a large decorating tip on a pastry bag, and put a mountain of mousse on each cupcake.
Hi I have just attempted to make the mouse topping for vegan cupcakes first. I am from Scotland so my ingredients might not be quite the same. I have found the mouse to be very bitter and might have to add more sweetening. I got my ingredients from Whole foods store in Scotland. I started with morinaga firm silken tofu, unsweetened soya milk, pure vanilla extract, whole foods 100% maple syrup and tropical source semi sweet chocolate chips. Have I gone wrong somewhere. Will make cupcakes tomorrow. Thanks Val
Absolutely AMAZING!!! I made these for a girl at work who is vegan and everyone raved about them!!! Thank you so much for such an amazing recipe!!
Delicious(: I used the mousse as a filling for my two layered cake, I have not tried it yet, but I was wondering how long the mouse would last on the cake after I put it in the refrigerator?(: