The tops crinkle when baked, creating a nice contrast between the dark chocolate and the white powdered sugar coating. Note that the dough gets very dense and is a little too difficult to mix by hand. From Vegetarian Times, around Christmas 1997, I think.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated margarine
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces firm silken tofu, drained and mashed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1In a mixer or large bowl beat margarine, chocolate and sugars until light and fluffy.
- 2Beat in tofu until well blended.
- 3Beat in vanilla, baking powder and salt.
- 4Add flour in batches, beating well after each addition.
- 5Cover and chill several hours or overnight.
- 6Preheat oven to 350 F and lightly oil cookie sheets.
- 7Scoop tablespoonfuls of dough and roll into balls.
- 8Drop into a small bowl with powdered sugar, rolling to coat.
- 9Place cookies 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets and bake until set, about 15 minutes.
- 10Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool. Cookies will keep up to 1 week in an airtight container at cool room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (62 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.2
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 153.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 24.0 g
- Protein 3.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: