Recipe by PrudenceWichett
I got this recipe from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's fabulous vegan cookbook, "Vegan with a Vengeance". Excellent results!
Top Review by valariemariec
Yum, yum, yum! Before I was vegan and I'd TRY to make cookies, I'd fail miserably. They'd always out as hard as rocks or taste too salty or too sweet, there was always something! So when I was preparing to make these I made sure i only did half the amount JUST IN CASE. They were SO good! Everyone is my house loved them (and they're all non-vegans)
Be sure to use raw sugar, though. Also, I didn't have white flour so I used whole wheat, I'll try white flour next time, but you should definitely try out whole wheat. Not only is it healthier, but it makes them heavy and filling so that one or two is enough :)
I'll repost again when I use white flour and say which way I like them most.
- 236.59 ml margarine, at room temp
- 295.73 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml molasses
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 591.47 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 354.88 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips (or vegan carob chips)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream the margarine and sugar with a hand mixer until fluffy. Add the molasses and vanilla and incorporate. Add the dry ingredients to this mixture and mix until a dough forms. Fold the chocolate chips into the dough.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls or drop by tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until mildly browned. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes. Then transfer to cooling racks, cool and enjoy!