Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this recipe from a cookbook; I can't recall which. I have modified it a bit. It truly is wonderful. The frosting is amazingly decadent.
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 cup pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (I use turbinado sugar)
- 1 cup original soymilk
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup safflower oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (Braggs)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 cups non-dairy chocolate chips (I use Sunspire organic semi-sweet)
- 1 cup vanilla-flavored soymilk
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee
- 1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl mix flours, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa, salt, cinnamon, and sugar. In another bowl, mix 1/2 cup water, original soymilk, maple syrup, vinegar, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Pour wet ingredients slowly into dry, combining as you pour. Mix well to combine.
- Line two 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper, or waxed paper. Divide batter evenly into both cake pans. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until tester comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on wire racks about 30 minutes.
- To prepare frosting, put chocolate chips, vanilla soymilk, coffee, and syrup into a double boiler. Heat until chocolate chips melt, blend all ingredients. Set aside to cool, immersion blend about 1 minute. Cool in refrigerator about 1 hour. Warm slightly before frosting cake.
- (Also, the frosting recipe yields enough to frost 2 layer cakes. So, you'll definitely have more than enough. It's also really good melted as a topping on soy ice cream).
I have to be honest, I have not actually made the cake... only the Chocolate Ganache Frosting. It is sooo yummy! It is so much better than regular frosting made with butter/margarine and powdered sugar. I love the flavor and it is a very nice addition to a chocolate cake. My dd is allergic to dairy so I was thrilled to find something she could enjoy. Thank you!