Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I developed this recipe after trying many others - it is very rich and delicious!
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mixed nuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup cold water or 1⁄2 cup cold soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift dry ingredients into 8" square or 9" round baking pan.
- Mix liquids (except vinegar) and whisk into dry.
- When batter is smooth, add vinegar and stir quickly, until it is evenly distributed.
- Put it in the oven, don't let it stand around (that has something to do with the vinegar) Bake for 25-30 minutes or longer until done.
- This cake is great served with soya cream or vegan ice cream.
I was skeptical but needed to make a vegan birthday cake. This was actually very good. I found the mixing of the batter in the pan a little challenging since it thickens so much, and I discourage trying to line the pan with parchment (as I did) because of the mixing process, but a very good recipe. I used yuzu vinegar from O Olive Oil which was an outstanding substitution.
This turned out great,I followed the recipe just as written!
This was great. Very moist. I used canola oil and chocolate rice milk and didn't add the nuts to make this friendly to people with dairy, egg, soy, and nut allergies. I made cupcakes and took them to a school function - they were a big hit with the kids.