Recipe by Lucy Burnett
I developed this recipe after trying many others - it is very rich and delicious!
Top Review by Gfron1
I was skeptical but needed to make a vegan birthday cake. This was actually very good. I found the mixing of the batter in the pan a little challenging since it thickens so much, and I discourage trying to line the pan with parchment (as I did) because of the mixing process, but a very good recipe. I used yuzu vinegar from O Olive Oil which was an outstanding substitution.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mixed nuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup cold water or 1⁄2 cup cold soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift dry ingredients into 8" square or 9" round baking pan.
- Mix liquids (except vinegar) and whisk into dry.
- When batter is smooth, add vinegar and stir quickly, until it is evenly distributed.
- Put it in the oven, don't let it stand around (that has something to do with the vinegar) Bake for 25-30 minutes or longer until done.
- This cake is great served with soya cream or vegan ice cream.