Recipe by Hag chef
You don't have to be vegan to enjoy this cake, it is fabulous. We were at a cottage with friends of my brothers, in four days we managed to scarf down at least five of these cakes with only five people! It is moist and very tasty. We barely waited for the cake to cool down, and didn't even bother with frosting. I imagine if you want to frost the cake, it would be even better. Or just sprinkle with a little icing sugar, or a glaze. Double the recipe if you want layers.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (can also exchange with white vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Lightly oil an 8-inch cake pan and set aside (Line with parchment paper).
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add the oil, vinegar, vanilla and cold water and stir together carefully until "just mixed."
- Spoon evenly into cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely before frosting.
- Makes 1 cake.