Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Fresh polenta tops off this hearty, heart-healthy meal.
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 24 ounces soy crumbles, boca
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- paprika, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the kidney beans, beef-style crumbles, corn kernels, diced tomato, tomato sauce, chili powder, cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoons of the salt, the onion powder, and cumin. Spread the mixture into a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- To create the polenta, in small saucepan, combine the water, cornmeal, margarine, and the remaining 1 teaspoons of salt and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, for 12 to 15 minutes or until a spoon leaves a line when drawn through the mixture. Pour the polenta over the mixture in the baking dish and spread it to the edges. Allow it to cool and firm up for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the paprika over the polenta then bake at 375°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until the polenta is golden on top.
Really, really delicious. I had no idea making polenta was so easy. Great recipe!