Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A warm and flavorful, easy to make vegan dish. For a chunkier chili, drain the beans and rinse. For more liquid, empty the can directly into the saucepan. It has been pointed out that traditional Worcestershire sauce uses anchovies, and is therefore not vegan. There is, however, a vegetarian version available from most health food stores. I recommend this substitution.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 lb mushroom (sliced)
- 1 red pepper (julienned)
- 1 lb canned diced tomato
- 15 ounces canned black beans
- 15 ounces canned kidney beans
- 8 ounces canned tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In large saucepan or stew pot, saute the onions and garlic in warm olive oil.
- Add mushrooms and red pepper. Cook until pepper softens.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil.
- Turn heat to low and simmer 15 minutes.
This was very good. Even my son tried it and he won't try much of anything.
FYI worcestershire sauce is usually not vegan, since it contains anchovies.