Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Based on a recipe by Vegancoach.com. These are crunchy and delicious.
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 4 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (lightly ground in food processor or mortar)
- 4 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds (whole)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3⁄4-1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all dry ingredients, when stir in sesame oil. Gradually add water, adjusting as needed. Dough is ready when it can be formed into a ball (but don't make it too wet, as rolling out will be really hard).
- You can dust a surface and roll out with a pin, or press with a tortilla press (which is what I do). I like to press numerous small circles, so they cook more evenly. The edges will brown before the center gets done.
- Put dough on a non-stick cookie sheet and prick with a fork. You can cut them apart with a pizza cutter now, or lightly score them--however you like. I leave them in my little circles. Bake 15-20 minutes or until crisp in the center!
- Servings will depend on how big you make your crackers!
These are very different crackers, but very yummy, too! They have a nice roasty chickpea flavour with the seeds being such a lovely addition! What a tasty and healthy snack! YUM! I cant have yeast so I subbed some ground flax seeds for it knowing that that would alter the taste of the recipe. As Im not a vegan I made half a batch with some added cheese, cause I was told that nutritional yeast has a slightly cheesy salty taste. They were really good! But the ones without any cheese were great, too. I like how easy these are to make and that you can feel good eating them! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing your wonderful recipe with us! I got 38 chunky crackers out of the full recipe. Made and reviewed for PRMR Tag Game June 2010.