Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Kheer is my favorite Indian dessert, but it’s not a good choice for those of us who are lactose intolerant or vegan, so I created a vegan version of Kheer. It requires no cooking! If you are watching blood sugar levels, please omit raisins and use a low-GI sweetener such as coconut nectar or stevia to sweeten the pudding. Please visit my blog, www.innerharmonynutrition.com for more healthy gluten-free recipes.
- 473.18 ml coconut milk (in carton, not canned) or 473.18 ml almond milk
- 10-15 saffron strands
- 88.74 ml chia seeds
- 29.58-59.16 ml liquid sweetener, of your choice such as coconut nectar, agave, raw honey and maple syrup
- 0.25 ml ground cardamom
- 44.37 ml raw almonds, soaked for 8-12 hours
- 29.58 ml pistachios
- 14.79 ml raisins (optional) or 14.79 ml currants (optional)
- 14.79 ml coconut flakes
- Heat 2 Tbsp of coconut milk and soak saffron strands. Leave it for a while.
- In a bowl, add the remaining milk, chia seeds, liquid sweetener, cardamom, and the saffron and milk mixture.
- Stir well and refrigerate overnight or for at least 4-6 hours.
- Take the pudding out from the refrigerator and stir well to get rid of the lumps. Transfer to individual dishes.
- Chop nuts and place them on top of the pudding along with raisins or currants. Sprinkle coconut flakes.
- Infuse love and serve!