Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These cookies have come a long way. From my mom's stained old copy of Company's Coming "Kids Cooking", now they're an ubiquitous, veganized family favorite. The cherries are my personal addition. I mean, you can use JUST plain ol' chocolate chips, but come on... :-)
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 350∘F.
- Beat the oil, brown sugar, applesauce and baking powder together until smooth.
- Sift the flour and baking soda into a large bowl. Add the oats, salt, chocolate chips, and cherries, stirring together. Add the wet ingredients and stir (careful not to overmix).
- Drop rounded tablespoonfuls onto sheets lined with parchment paper, or nonstick pans. Leave 2 inches between each one so they have room to spread out.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes on the center rack of the oven. Let stand 2 minutes after you take them off, then slide the cookies onto a wire rack to cool completely.
These are so yummy and easy! I love that I normaly have all of the ingredients in my pantry, even when old Mother Hubbard's cubbard is running low! Fantastic!! I wanna try the dark chocolate next time!!
Used some of my homemade applesauce in this recipe, but it was the combo of DARK chocolate chips & the cherries that made these special ~ ABSOLUTELY GREAT! Certainly a keeper of a recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]