Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Vegan Cheese Cracker recipe. Like the fishes only more delicious. Originally seen published on the have cake, will travel blog.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Mix all ingredients except water in a bowl. Slowly add water until the dough forms a ball. You may not need all of the water!
- Roll out on a clean surface to about 1/3 inch thickness. Cut out shapes using the smallest cookie cutters you have. Continue to re-roll scraps until all dough is used.
- Place crackers on baking sheets lined with waxed paper. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, until crackers are set and golden.
I was really curious to try these after looking for nooch recipes-- glad I did! I don't keep margarine in the house due to health reasons; I used sunflower oil instead and it worked fine-- it was very crumbly so I added water bit by bit until it reached a cookie dough like consistency. I didn't really care about appearance so I just formed small balls with my hands to put them on the baking sheet. Took about 20 minutes to bake in my convection oven; but a few in the back got singed-- had an unpleasant tinge but the other crackers were really good. They had a slightly floury taste but the bite was just perfect, goes great with hummus. You don't taste the cheesy overtone until a little later. Very easy to throw together and I thought the thicker ones tasted better than the thin ones.
well i ended up adding an extra Tbs of water to make the dough manageable (rather the consistency of biscuit dough) and simply cut into 1" squares as i had no suitable cookie cutters. total cooking time to get them golden was 18 min. i mis-read and rolled to about 1/8" thickness, oops! turned out good though. does taste very similar to gold fish crackers but will not be bright orange. mine were light golden (some more then others) with speckles from the pepper. could also try adding spices next time for variety. makes more then a big box of crackers, hopefully they keep well. thanks for a great, easy recipe!
this recipe is from havecakewilltravel.com. please give credit where credit's due.