Found this on alt.food.vegan where it is an adaptation Peter Berleys' 'Lemon Tart with Toasted Almond Crust' from his book, 'The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen'. I haven't tried it but it has excellent reports from the newsgroup.
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup brown rice flour or 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 4 tablespoons agar-agar flakes (or nearly 3 tsp agar powder)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric (don't add more than this as it will affect the taste--it's purely for colour)
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemons, zest of
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup arrowroot
- Preheat to 350°F Lightly grease a 9" tart pan.
- Mix the ingredients together and press into the bottom of the dish.
- (It is a dryish mixso you can add more oil although it is not necessary).
- If you're using a proper metal tart pan, press the dough up the fluted sides.
- Prick the bottom a few times with a.
- Bake for approx 20 min, until brown.
- Let cool before adding filling.
- Dissolve arrowroot in 1/2 cup of water and set aside.
- Filling: Mix coconut milk, 1 cup of the water, sugar, agar& turmeric into a saucepan.
- Simmer until agar dissolves (usually takes between 6-8 minutes for flakes, a. little less time for powder--don't over cook or agar will lose its strength).
- Stir in the lemon juice, zest& vanilla then bring to a boil.
- Add the arrowroot/water mixture and boil for one minute.
- [It'simportant to stir throughout as you don't want the agar to clump up along the bottom of the pan.
- You'll feel it thicken up when you add the arrowroot.
- Pour into the cooled crust and let firm up before serving.