Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Couldn't find a vegan cheeseburger soup recipe for my Superbowl menu, so adapted one from Triple D and Dreena's Vegan Recipes
- 2 cups water
- 1 vegan chicken flavored bouillon cube
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- 12 ounces Mexican vegetarian ground meat substitute
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, chopped
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add bouillon cube and stir until dissolved. Add onion and place lid on pot, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer approximately 10 minutes or until onions are translucent, stirring ocassionally.
- In a blender, place cashews, sesame seeds, pine nuts, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, half of almond milk, sea salt, mustard, cornstarch, paprika, turmeric, and nutritional yeast. Blend until consistency is very smooth, adding remaining almond milk as you blend. This is the faux cheese sauce.
- Add faux cheese sauce, faux meat crumbles, tomatoes, and lettuce to pot and stir to combine. Simmer with lid on until heated through (approximately 10 minutes), stirring ocassionally. Adjust to desired consistency with water or almond milk.
This soup recipe just jumped into the top 5 soups of all time from our kitchen. Extremely satisfying and delicious, especially hits the spot if you haven't had a "real" cheeseburger in years. The only change we made was in using a mexican chorizo style seitan in place of the "meat" recommended here. Loved it!