2 hrs 30 mins
I found this recipe @ the Post Punk Kitchen website. I have not tried it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 tablespoons dry active yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water ("wrist" temperature)
- 6 cups flour (I usually do a white ( whole wheat ratio of 4 ( 2)
- 1 cup soy flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (canola ok, too)
- 2 overripe bananas (mostly black)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup boiling water, for brushing braids
- sesame seeds or poppy seeds or sea salt, to top
- 1In one small bowl, dissolve yeast in the warm water, put to the side to stand for 5-10 minutes.
- 2Mash bananas in other small bowl.
- 3In large bowl mix: oil, sugar, salt, and boiling water, stirring so it's all mostly dissolved.
- 4Add the cold water to the large bowl (the mix should be warmish now but not hot). Stir in yeast mix.
- 5Add bananas.
- 6Add flour, one cup at a time.
- 7Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead for 5-10 min, dough should be smooth, not too stiff or too runny.
- 8Lightly coat the large mixing bowl in oil, turn the dough in it to just coat it with oil, place a towel over the dough in the bowl and let it rise for about 1 hr, till double in volume.
- 9Punch dough down, turn out and knead again 2-3 minute Divide dough into 2 balls, divide each ball into 3 sections, roll each section into long ropes and make 2 braids. Preheat the oven to 350.
- 10Let the braids rise 45 minute Boil a little more water. Just before putting braids in the oven, brush them with boiling water, then sprinkle with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or sea salt.
- 11Bake 30 minute You'll know they're done when you tap them on the bottom and they sound hollow. Let cool on a drying rack for 10 min before slicing. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Challah
Serving Size: 1 (1899 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2389.9
- Calories from Fat 616
- Total Fat 68.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3536.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 385.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.3 g
- Sugars 68.3 g
- Protein 61.9 g