Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
A side track version of the vegan applesauce carrot cake recipe from Chef Joey Z! I added a few things and this recipe ends up making 3 whole "pies" of the cake instead of the 10 serving original version!
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 2 cups carrots (finely grated)
- 2 cups water
2 Egg substitute
- 1 1⁄2 bananas (any size'll do)
- 1 cup silken tofu
- 3 tablespoons soy yogurt (plain)
Liquid ingredient mixture
- 1 1⁄4 maple syrup
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup agave syrup
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons applesauce (unsweetened)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons iodized salt
Dry ingredient mixture
- 3 cups spelt flour (or 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 8 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1. First get your carrots grated, and raisins measured to set aside for simmering in a pot with the 2 cups water (7-10 min when ready).
- 2. Next go ahead and blend your egg substitute list of ingredients together (liquify if possible, otherwise blended smoothly works), then measure to make sure it comes out to be 1 cup of gooey perfection to replace those eggs!
- *Now preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- 3. In one big bowl, mix applesauce, spices, oil, syrups, egg replacer, salt.
- 4. After carrot and raisin mix is simmered for 7-10 min., mix this in with #3.
- 5. In separate bowl, mix flour, nuts, flax seed mill, and baking soda together.
- 6. Add #5 to the fluidified mixture slowly, stirring well but not too much.
- 7. Spray 3 separate 9 inch diameter wide glass round pie bowls with some sort of vegetable oil spray (I use Lowe's Foods 100% pure no stick cooking spray -- it's cheaper :)
- 8. Pour ingredients into bowls, then set them into the oven, all on same rack if baking them together!
- 9. Set your timer for 45 minutes, but a separate timer should be set for 15 min, which you'll need to rotate your cakes on their shelf in the oven so as to bake evenly! At about minute 30 on first timer, turn oven down to about 300 degrees F.
- 10. Should be done after 45 min., set the cakes on cooling racks and wait about 15 minute to take your first bite :).
- 11. Enjoy!