Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Vegan and low sugar, this cake melts in your mouth. Decorate with sliced strawberries on top.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup barley flour (use whole wheat pastry flour if you have no barley flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups carrots
- 1⁄2 cup safflower oil
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup maple sugar or 1⁄4 cup honey
Raw Cashew Cream Frosting
- 3⁄4 cup cashews
- 3 dates
- 1⁄2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 7 strawberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 365 F, oil two round 9 inch cake pans. Line with parchment paper.
- Sift together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Finely shred the carrots.
- Combine all wet ingredients in a separate bowl until smooth, then stir in the dry mixture in quarters, mixing until just combined.
- Transfer the batter to the pans and smooth the surfaces.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until cakes spring back when lightly touched in the center and begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Soak cashews in 1 cup fresh water for 30 minutes, drain and rinse.
- soak dates in 1 cup water 15 minutes. save this water.
- Add all ingredients in the bowl of the food processor, mix until fluffy and smooth. Add the date water if needed in tablespoons, but use as little as possible.*can use any kind of fruit you desire, more or less then the recipe calls for. You can also add sweetener if you feel it's necessary. Be sure to use unrefined coconut oil.
- Spread on cake.