Recipe by Carol Bullock
This is a yummy carrot cake with rich cream cheese frosting. It tastes very much like the non-vegan version. I believe I came across this recipe on a vegetarian recipe board.
Top Review by 548850
I loved this recipe! I substituted the applesauce for crushed pineapple and I added extra cinnamon. I also added a little nutmeg and cloves. Everyone raved about it, they couldn't believe it was vegan. Thank you!
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups finely-shredded carrots
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 egg substitute (Ener-G)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 ounces Better Than Cream Cheese cream cheese substitute
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour a 10" X 9" or square cake pan.
- Stir together dry ingredients.
- Mix in the carrots, egg subs, oil, apple sauce, and vanilla.
- Beat about 2-3 minutes , until well mixed.
- Stir in the nuts, if used.
- Bake at 325 F for about 40-50 minutes , or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Once the BTCC is at room temperature, mix all ingredients together. Frost cake.