Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Adapted from Joanne Stepaniak's book Vegan Vittles: Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary.
- 1 cup unbleached cane sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed unsweetened pineapple, with juice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated carrots, lightly packed
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly oil an 8-by-8-inch glass baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix the sugar, pineapple and its juice, and the oil.
- Stir in the carrot, raisins, and nuts.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients.
- Gradually stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture. Batter will be rather thick.
- Spoon batter into the baking dish and bake for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, dust it with powdered sugar or frost it with vegan "cream cheese" icing.