Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Got this from a Yahoo! Group I am on.... haven't made them yet, but will soon: "Awesome homemade dairy-free caramel recipe! Good with nuts, topped with chocolate, or for dipping apples in. Cook it to a lower temperature for caramel ice cream topping. Thanks to "The Glad Cow Cookbook' for the original ingredient proportions. Makes --100 pieces of caramel"
- Grease and line with parchment a 8 inch x 8 inch baking pan.
- Place all ingredients (except vanilla) in a large saucepan (4qt minimum capacity.).
- Bring ingredients to a boil stirring often.
- Cook over medium heat while stirring until candy reaches 245 degrees F.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour into lined baking pan.
- Allow to cool completely. Snip into pieces using clean kitchen shears (or slice with a knife).
- Wrap individually with waxed or parchment paper.
- Makes ~100 pieces.
- Variation: Cook to 230 degrees F and add vanilla. Pour into a glass jar. Warm jar in a pan of hot water before pouring over ice cream or cake.
Very nice, thanks for the recipe...im making them for my Vegan friend. Non-vegans wouldn't taste the diff between these and milk caramels.
I made this using Earth Balance and coconut milk, and it turned out great. I plan on using this in place of the typical store-bought wrapped caramels in some holiday baking. :)