Recipe by Susan Rainer
Got this from a Yahoo! Group I am on.... haven't made them yet, but will soon: "Awesome homemade dairy-free caramel recipe! Good with nuts, topped with chocolate, or for dipping apples in. Cook it to a lower temperature for caramel ice cream topping. Thanks to "The Glad Cow Cookbook' for the original ingredient proportions. Makes --100 pieces of caramel"
- 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups soymilk or 2 cups rice milk
- 1 cup light corn syrup, golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional if using unsalted margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and line with parchment a 8 inch x 8 inch baking pan.
- Place all ingredients (except vanilla) in a large saucepan (4qt minimum capacity.).
- Bring ingredients to a boil stirring often.
- Cook over medium heat while stirring until candy reaches 245 degrees F.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour into lined baking pan.
- Allow to cool completely. Snip into pieces using clean kitchen shears (or slice with a knife).
- Wrap individually with waxed or parchment paper.
- Makes ~100 pieces.
- Variation: Cook to 230 degrees F and add vanilla. Pour into a glass jar. Warm jar in a pan of hot water before pouring over ice cream or cake.