Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A fast, simple caramel sauce made with an almond milk base and finished with vegan butter. Created for my Baked Caramel Cappuccino Donuts.
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter (like Earth Balance or Becel Vegan)
- In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, sugar, salt and almond milk.
- Cook over medium heat until sugars dissolve, then increase the heat to medium-high and let the mixture come to a boil.
- Stirring often, let the mixture boil until it reaches a thick but pourable consistency.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vegan butter. Pour into a heat safe container and set aside.
Mine ended up hardening right away in my pan. It's a good hard candy, if I could get it out. What I maneged to get into my jar hardened too so I added milk and it was ok, but it was like only an inch of sauce
The recipe was very simple and easy to follow until there was no information on how long to stir it. Unless you're an expert in candy making, how are you supposed to know what it looks like when we "stir until desired consistency"? If this was added, maybe mine wouldn't taste like burnt carmel.
I loved this caramel sauce, just made it, it's still warm! It was very, very easy to make, I had all ingredients on hand and the dollop of vegan butter at the end gives it that lovely buttery, caramely flavor. Delicious, I used it to top Pumpkin Pecan bars I just made. Can't wait to dig in. Thank you!