Prep 10 mins
Cook 14 mins
This is a vegan alternative to http://www.recipezaar.com/browse/getrecipe.zsp?id=26806&path= . I have a hard time finding veggie burgers that I actually like, so I often make my own. You can put half the nutritional yeast right into the patties and sprinkle the rest on top afterwards, or just save it all for the end.
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary (powdered is fine, too)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup alfalfa sprout
- 14 ounces tofu crumbles (Smart Menu "gimme lean" has less than 25 calories per oz serving)
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- Preheat the broiler.
- In a bowl, mix the water, oats, onion, rosemary, and salt.
- Finely chop 1/2 cup of alfalfa sprouts and add to the mixture in the bowl.
- Add the faux-beef and mix well.
- Make 4 3/4 inch thick patties and place them on an unheated broiler pan.
- Broil 2-3 inches away from heat for 6 minutes.
- Turn and broil for another 6-8 minutes or until they're as done as you like them.
- While the patties are broiling, measure the nutritional yeast into 4 equal parts (1 TBSP each).
- Place 1 TBSP nutritional yeast flakes on each patty when they're done broiling.
- Garnish the top of the patties with the rest of the sprouts.