Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
I know it sounds weird, but it's absolutely delicious, and quite comforting on a fall or winter day. I had made a Buffalo Chicken Soup a long time ago, and started craving that recently, so I decided to "veganize" it. My husband said it tasted really close to the "real" thing. I'm proud of myself.
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine (Earth Balance)
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 vegetarian chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 (12 1/3 ounce) boxes silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 cup vegetarian chicken pieces (I used Quorn, which does have egg whites, so it's not totally vegan)
- 8 tablespoons hot sauce (or more)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup vegan sour cream (Tofutti)
- 8 ounces vegetarian blue cheese (Sunergia Soy Foods makes a good one) (optional)
- Melt margarine in a large pot.
- Sautee celery until slightly tender.
- Meanwhile, mix bouillon cubes with hot water. Pour into food processor or blender. Add tofu and nutritional yeast. Puree until smooth. If you use a blender or a small food processor, you may have to do this in two batches. Pour mixture into pot.
- Add vegetarian chicken cubes, hot sauce, and garlic powder. Heat over medium, until it starts to bubble. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes or so, stirring frequently.
- Stir in sour cream substitute. Heat until warmed through. Do not boil.
- Serve with extra hot sauce, if desired, soy bleu cheese, and crackers. It makes a lovely meal with a side salad and a baked potato.
Oh my gosh - so good!! I think my husband was expecting to dislike this since there wasn't any dairy in it, but we both loved it and it totally satisfied my buffalo craving! I did make some changes though - in addition to the 3 stalks celery, I also added one chopped carrot and one peeled/diced medium baking potato. I sautéed the carrot and celery together for awhile before adding the potato for a little bit with some water to prevent sticking. I made the soup base with a little extra nutritional yeast, then simmered for about 30 minutes. I scooped out the veggies and put back in the vitamix to puree. Then reheated everything with the sour cream. I also left out the vegan chicken altogether because I couldn't find the brand I wanted - didn't miss it but I'm going to try with chicken next time. So good though! Thank you!