My sister used to bake these every day to sell at a cafe at school. I often bring these to vegetarian/vegan potlucks because they are quick and everyone seems to really like them. Please note - these are pretty good, but the other vegan brownie recipe I have posted (Rich, Fudgy Vegan Brownies) is way better!! (I think).
- Cook water and 1/2 cup of the flour over low heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches the consistency of a gluey paste (yum).
- Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Mix sugar, salt, vanilla, cocoa powder and vegetable oil, and then add the flour-water mixture.
- Mix well.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of flour, plus the baking powder and nuts/chocolate chips.
- Spread mixture into a greased 11x7-inch pan.
- Bake at 350ºF for 25 minutes, or until knife inserted into center of pan comes out clean.