Recipe by the80srule
The flax is healthy and chock full of fiber, and acts as a stabilizer for the almond milk since vegan milks don't thicken on their own plus it has more nutritional value than cornstarch. I use Sun Crystals to cut down on sugar but stay chemical-free (it is 50% sugar and 50% stevia extract, has 240 calories for 1/4 cup.) so it's sweet but not overpowering the other flavors in it.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 dash salt
TO MAKE THE PUDDING
- 3 cups plain unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄4 cup blanched slivered almond
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (I used 1/4 cup Sun Crystals stevia-sugar blend)
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 dashes cardamom (just a few shakes)
- saffron, powder
- chopped pistachios
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil 2 cups of lightly salted water in a heavy-bottom saucepan, immerse the brown rice in it. Lower the heat, loosely cover the pot, and let simmer at medium-low heat for 40 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all the water.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix well, and loosely cover. Let simmer on medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes or until the mixture has thickened and the rice is very tender.
- Pour into an airtight container and refridgerate for at least 2-3 hours before serving, or overnight. Makes a great breakfast too if made with amaranth or quinoa!