Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
The DH loves this!! This dish is from thisdishisvegetarian.com. Feel free to be creative and add more or less of something - very forgiving recipe here! I think you could probably get away with using almond/soy/rice milk for a thinner sauce or blended tofu for a thicker sauce in place of the non-dairy cream...but don't take my word for it (haven't tried doing that yet) :D
- 1 (10 ounce) packagespelt tagliatelle pasta noodles (or any other you prefer, roughly 10oz)
- 2 heads broccoli, florets separated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 onion, diced (Red or White)
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 2 cups non-dairy cream (for sauces, not Whipping)
- 1 teaspoon mustard (Dijon or English)
- grated soy cheese (optional)
- salt & crushed black pepper
- Cook Pasta according to directions (remember to add salt and olive oil to water). Additionally, boil water in a seperate saucepan for Broccoli. If you are feeling very lazy you can boil the Broccoli in the water for 3-4 minutes when the pasta is about done, or you can steam it for about 5-6 minutes in a colander over the pan, until bright green & very soft. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan add Garlic, Onions and Pine nuts, and cook for 3-4 minutes or until ingredients start to brown. Add Basil and give it a quick stir.
- Add Broccoli and try to crush with a fork or wooden spoon until mushy with some pieces intact, then add Cream and let it simmer for 2 minutes. (Alternatively, you can blitz half the mixture at the end).
- Stir in Mustard and let it simmer (don't boil) for another two minutes. At this point you can add some grated soy cheese if you want, but it really doesn't add that much flavor. Season with Salt, and a good helping of fresh Black Pepper.
- Combine Pasta and Sauce, serve immediately and dig in!
Easy and tasty! Just what I needed for the kids and me! Thanks for sharing! Added sage from the garden and added really good flavor! No cheese needed! Kids wants me to do it again!
Udderly-less delicious! I used vegan "cheese", vegan cream, and whole-wheat linguine since even Whole Foods Market in Porttland, Maine doesn't carry the requisite pasta. Even DH -- non-vegan and very meat-and -potatoes -- wants to take some lefttovers to work tomorrow for lunch. Wonderful! Thanks Mindelicious! Made for Veggie Recipe Swap, August 2010.