1/1 Photo of Vegan Breakfast Sausages
1 hr 30 mins
From "Vegan Comfort Food" by Alicia Simpson. I slightly modified it. This is the best faux sausage I've found! I have finally stopped buying veggie sausages! Hallelujah! Recipe makes a ton, but halves easily. And so inexpensive comparatively!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour (or soy flour)
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon whole fennel seed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- 2In separate bowl whisk all the wet ingredients.
- 3Stir the wet into dry and mix lightly until combined and spongy dough forms.
- 4Form 1/4 to 1/3 cup of dough at a time into a small log about 6 inches long. INDIVIDUALLY wrap in aluminum foil (tightly, twisting the ends at the top and bottom like sausage casings. If they aren't wrapped tight enough they will burst out.
- 5When they are all wrapped up arrange them into a steamer basket over boiling water, and steam for 30 minutes.
- 6Cool, and remove from foil. Keeps in the fridge for up to a week. I freeze mine and take out as needed.
- 7What you have here when you're done is equal to raw sausage! Is isn't done yet! :) I like to saute it in a little oil in a cast iron skillet. It also crumbles up swell for tofu scrambles etc. Or slices for sausage and peppers. Sometimes after I unwrap these I immediately throw them in the oven with a little oil for another 10-15 minutes to crisp up the "skin".
- 8Note - I don't have a steamer. I use a strainer fitted over the top of a pot making sure the bottom of the strainer doesn't touch the water in the bottom of the pot. Then cover with a lid.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Breakfast Sausages
Serving Size: 1 (37 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 46.4
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 63.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vital wheat gluten
vegan worcestershire sauce
Braggs liquid aminos