Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: This is a recipe I created. It is a vegetarian style quiche made with tofu and nutritional yeast flakes, onion, garlic, spinach, and a few spices. I also used a bit of coconut milk which, when cutting out cheese in a recipe, adds a bit of creaminess. Although coconut milk is high in saturated fat, it is also full of fiber and has been found to be very healthy. I also used Simply Potatoes hash browns for crust. It is really healthy without the eggs and cholesterol.
- 10 ounces Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns (half of the 20 oz bag)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb tofu, drained and mashed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1 cup fresh Baby Spinach, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 5 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemons or 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon potato starch or 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 slices tomatoes
- 1 green onion, cut into circlets
- 5 baby carrots, cut into matchsticks
- Put oven rack in middle position. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brown half a bag of Simply Potatoes hash browns in a skillet as directed on package using a tablespoon of olive oil. When brown, mix in two pinches of salt (optional if on low-sodium diet) and a pinch of pepper. Mix together well and press the hash browns into a pie pan as a crust.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
- Saute the onion until translucent and slightly golden.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Mash up the tofu by hand with a fork or in a food processor and add to the onion/garlic along with the salt, pepper, cilantro, lemon juice, nutmeg, coconut milk, nutritional flakes and spinach.
- Simmer about 10 minutes over medium heat. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the potato starch.
- Press into pie (hash brown) crust.
- Garnish with sliced tomatoes, circlets of green onion and carrots cut into matchsticks.
- Bake @ 375 for 45 minutes.