Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this recipe from vegweb and adapted it to suit our tastes. This makes a great Sunday morning breakfast or a good breakfast burrito filling.
- 4 medium potatoes, sliced
- 1 -2 cup bell pepper, sliced (mixed yellow orange, green, and red)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- olive oil, to fry
- Slice potatoes into 1-2 mm rounds, bell pepper into thin strips, and chop onions. Place in skillet with a thin layer of olive oil coating bottom. Add spices and herbs. Cook covered on med-low heat for 45-60 minute.
- They will be meltingly tender. Let cook while you drink copious amounts of coffee and by the time you can walk and think properly, they will be ready!
These were great! I made a small batch as my frying pan is quite small. I used one large sweet potato, one medium green pepper, 1/4 of a red onion, omitted the garlic, replaced cayenne pepper with chili powder and also replaced red pepper flakes with paprika (I improvised as I didn't have those spices available). I chopped the onion and pepper, and cut the sweet potato into thin little squares (roughly 1 in. x 1 in. x 1/8 in.). I used an olive oil cooking spray on the bottom of the pan and cooked it uncovered on low-med heat for a little over an hour (I stirred/flipped the veggies quite frequently to ensure even cooking and to prevent sticking/burning). It was absolutely delicious and I will be making it again! :)
Delicious! In future I would save time by substituing the all the seasonings for this pre-made cajun mix, which has very similar spices: