From the fabulous cookbook La Dolce Vegan. Feel free to substitute your favorite fresh fruit in season: peaches, berries, etc.; even dried fruit, etc. Couscous is ideal for breakfast as it is not only nutritious but cooks very quickly. Living the Dolce Vegan!
- 3⁄4 cup soymilk (Read *NOTE) or 3⁄4 cup rice milk (Read *NOTE)
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened apple juice or 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cranberry juice or 1⁄4 cup unsweetened white grape juice or 1⁄4 cup unsweetened orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1⁄2 banana, peeled and sliced
- cinnamon or cardamom
- salt, to taste (optional)
- *NOTE: Regular cow's milk can be substituted for the soy milk.
- In a small pot on high heat, bring the milk substitute and juice of choice just to a boil.
- Reduce heat and stir in the couscous with a fork. Cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off heat, leave pan on element, and allow to stand a few minutes.
- If desired, season with salt. Serve with fresh fruit and a sprinkle of cinnamon or other favorite spice.
- Yield: 1 medium or 2 small servings.