Recipe by tendollarwine
I got the idea for this from a recipe in Vegan Planet, but I tweaked it quite a bit. You can either prepare this the day you eat it, or put it together the night before. If you do that, you'll want to let it come to room temp before baking it. Also, I was going to make some hashbrowns and mix it in with this, but I didn't have time. Just bake a potato, peel it, grate it, fry it in a pan with some veggie oil and layer it on top of the bread. My Chicago Diner gravy recipe goes really well with this.
- 8 -10 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1 lb soft tofu, drained and crumbled
- 1 (14 ounce) package Gimmie Lean sausage flavor
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups soymilk
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more
- vegetable oil, for baking
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Cook the garlic and onions until soft. Add the veggie sausage and crumble up in the pan while it browns. Add the peppers and cook until soft. Take off heat.
- Grease a 9x13 glass baking dish. Spread the cubed bread evenly in the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the tofu, soy milk, seasonings, and the cooked veggies and sausage. Pout over the bread and let it soak for 20 minutes.
- Bake the casserole for 35-45 minutes, until everything is nicely browned. Serve plain or with gravy.