Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Vegetarian Times (June 2005)
- 1⁄4 cup margarine (soy or regular)
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line muffin cups with paper liners or spray with nonstick spray.
- Mix all ingredients together until moistened.
- Divide batter evenly among the muffin cups. Each should be filled 3/4 full.
- Bake 35 minutes or until the tops are firm.
- Cool on a wire rack.
SO YUMMY. I did half and half of olive oil and vegan margarine instead of all 1/4 margarine. I would have liked it to rise more but the top came out crispy and the rest super moist. Mixing the frozen blueberries with the batter turned the batter blue, but other than that they look great. I topped it off with a crumb topping of 1/2 tbsp cinnamon, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 3 tbsp margarine before baking and that made it even tastier. Try it :)
these muffins are amazing!! i used rice milk instead of soy and fresh berries (which i coated in flour to prevent sinking, thanks to another reviewer here for that tip!) i also baked them for about 26 minutes, the texture was perfect and the tops were a lovely light brown. i think i am going to add a bit of lemon next time i make them to add a new flavor dimension. i will make these time and time again, thank you!!!
These were great! I used whole wheat flour and fresh (backyard-picked) blueberries. I also decreased both the sugar and the blueberries a bit at the suggestion of other reviewers, added some cinnamon and ground flax to the batter, and topped them off with a sprinkle of brown sugar. Very tasty! I will definitely make these again.