Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Base found at an eggless cooking recipe site, edited for lower fat content. These are healthy and SUPER good, we ate the whole thing within one day, so I suggest you make double ;)
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon lemon extract (depends on how lemony you like it) or 1⁄2-1 teaspoon lemon juice (depends on how lemony you like it)
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance margarine (its vegan. If you don't have this, you can use 2 tbsp. olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup frozen blueberries
- 3⁄4 cup oats (large flake looks best)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch sq. baking dish or a 9 inch rectangular pan.
- In a small bowl combine the oats, brown sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Let the margarine melt in the oven, microwave or stove top.
- Combine together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl.
- In another bowl mix the melted butter, vinegar, extracts, applesauce, soy milk, lemon juice and vinegar and whisk until well blended.
- Stir the wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in blueberries. Do not thaw the blueberries.
- Pour the batter into the pan, and sprinkle the oat mixture over top.
- Bake 25-30 min, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove the cake from the pan after 10 minutes of cooling (easiest to do in the refrigerator) and, if possible, set on a wire rack to cool completely.
Is there margarine that is missing here...it looks like there should be margarine with the oatmeal brown sugar and also in the recipe itself.