Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Adapted from the Vegetarian Times
For the streusel
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour or 3⁄4 cup spelt flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (flavored with vanilla)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
For the cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or 1 cup spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350.
- To make the streusel: In a medium bowl, toss together flour, vanilla sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Gradually stir in 1 tablespoon oil at a time until the mixture looks crumbly.
- To make the cake: In a medium bowl, whisk together flours and baking powder.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together maple syrup, oil, vanilla and salt. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Scoop the mixture into a 9" springform pan lightly coated with nonstick spray. Use an off-set spatula to smooth the top. Scatter the top with the crumbly streusel mixture.
- Bake until toothpick placed near the center comes out mostly clean with a few moist crumbs attached, about 60 to 70 minutes. Remove and place on a wire rack - after amount 30 minutes, remove the sides and let completely cool before cutting.