Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
I saw Alton Brown make this on Good Eats and thought "I can make that!" My version was pretty good! It was a nice, light main dish, but would make an excellent side salad for any meal.
For the salad
- 1⁄2 lb mixed greens
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 6 slices vegan bacon
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the dressing
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
For the croutons
- 5 slices whole wheat bread, cubed and dried overnight
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- salt, to taste
- Pour the vinegar in a bowl with the the salt, pepper and basil and slowly pour the oil in while whisking to create an emulsion. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan over medium heat. Cook the facon until crispy and place on paper towels to drain.
- Toss the bread cubes in the oil and set aside.
- Wipe out the pan and add another tbsp of oil. Place the grape tomatoes in the pan cut-side-down. Put over medium heat and cook until the tomatoes begin to caramelize on the pan. (the undersides will turn black).
- Remove the tomatoes from the pan and put on paper towels. Toss the croutons again in the oil/tomato juice in the pan. Sprinkle with basil and salt and set aside.
- Chop the facon into smallish pieces.
- Arrange the mixed greens on a plate and top with facon, tomatoes and croutons. Whisk the dressing one more time and drizzle some on the salad. It's pretty strong so you won't need a lot.