Recipe by Meghan
A tasty meat substitution for vegans, this mixture can be used in place of hamburger in almost any recipe
Top Review by Ariix
Very good; I made meatballs and served them with pasta and tomato sauce. I didn't use soy milk, I used water with a veggie bouillon cube dissolved in it, and my one problem was that the mix was a little too moist (I had to bake it longer than 20 min.), so I'll reduce the water a bit next time. Also I don't have any liquid smoke so I left that out. And I added a few teaspoons of nutritional yeast. Thanks for the recipe!
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup ground sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped or grated carrot
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon sweet basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos
- 3⁄4 cup soymilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Use large ice cream scoop to measure out 6 patties, or divide mixture into six equal portions.
- Fry, or place on greased baking sheet, bake at 350 degrees 20-30 minutes, turning once.
- Be careful not to over-bake, since it will make the burgers dry.
- These may be brushed with BBQ sauce 5 minutes before removing from oven.
- Serve on a whole wheat bun with all the trimmings, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, etc.
- Or use your hands or a 1 ounce ice cream type scoop to form meatballs and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Serve with spaghetti sauce and pasta.