Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another forbidden dish for me. But I found a way around it. Using my recipe for "Forget Mashed potatos, Save your heart & save your life, make this instead" which is Mashed Cauliflower and Broccoli, I substituted the that recipe instead of using starchy- not good for you mashed potatoes. Instead of artery clogging sausage, I used a leaner, vegan sausage from Morningstar Farms. Topped with a very light onion gravy, it's hard to believe this isn't the real thing. Plus, the 'Mashed Cauliflower and Broccoli" is LOADED with vitamins and antioxidants.PLEASE NOTE: NUTRITION CALCULATOR ON THIS RECIPE IS VERY WRONG! 5 MORNINGSTAR FARMS VEGAN SAUSAGES=300 CALORIES 62.5 CALORIES FROM FAT.
- 1⁄2 cup of frozen onion
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable stock
- 5 vegan sausage links (Morningstar Farms, Lightlife or Acorn are good brands)
- 1 cup mashed cauliflower and broccoli
- Preheat oven to 350 and cook sausages in there until crispy (about 20 minutes).
- While sausages are cooking, on the stove top, take the onions, garlic and saute in a non-stick pan. If onions are frozen -- you shouldn't need to use oil because as the onions melt -- the water will lubricate the pan. (calorie saver!) When they start to stick, start to gradually add in the veggie stock. Reduce heat and simmer.
- While those 2 things are working, scoop the mashed cauliflower-broccoli on to the plate.
- When sausages are done, put them on the plate with the mashed cauliflower-broccoli.
- Add a squirt of brown sauce into the onion mixture (less than a teaspoon) and mix one last time before pouring this onion gravy over the "mashed cauliflower-broccoli".
- Serve hot. Yum!